The Eye of the Beholder - Anne Wentworth, Elizabeth Darcy,  Nicole Ciacchella What a lovely, lovely book. This is a wonderful retelling of the Beauty and the Beast fairytale. No, the story/plot is not original, how could it be? But the way it is told, and the insight into both Beauty (Mira) and the Beast (whom she calls Lysander) makes the tale infinitely more engaging. King Edward, cold, heartless and pitiless, is cursed by an enchantress to be a beast for 300 years. The only way to break the curse is to fall in love, and to be loved in return (sound familiar?). Any servants who'd been inside the castle with him when the spell was cast are stuck with him, mute and blind, unable to express themselves, and only to serve.Mirabelle (Mira) is the youngest daughter of a failed merchant who stumbles across the enchanted castle of the Beast on his way back from a successful sales expedition. The merchant is given hospitality (food and shelter) within the castle (though he never sees anyone), and upon his departure he spies a lovely rose garden and is inspired to bring a rose home to the one daughter who asks for nothing but his safe return.Of course, the Beast is enraged and insists that either the merchant agree to allow himself to be imprisoned in the Beast's castle, or to send his youngest daughter to take his place.Okay, we all pretty much know how the story goes, so no more synopsis is required.What I loved so much about this book was the 1st person POV, from both Mira and Lysander, alternating every chapter. Mira was intelligent, compassionate, and strong, able to admit that she was afraid of the Beast, but unwilling to let that fear overwhelm her.Let's not forget Lysander. It was wonderful to see such a despicable character's gradual change as he fell in love. By the end, I wanted to weep myself at his self-realization of how terrible he'd been and how much he loved Mira. Sigh.Did I say that I liked this story? If you like fairytales, you will, too. :)