On the Island - Tracey Garvis-Graves Re-read in June 2012, originally read in January, 2012:This is my review from Amazon, but first, I'd like to emphasize that the romance in this story, despite the significant age gap of the characters, happens after the age of consent has been reached. BTW - this is also my first Goodreads review. So...I read this book based on a recommendation from an Amazon forum. Lately, I have been in the habit of bypassing self-pubbed books due to the remarkable inconsistency of quality. Thank goodness I didn't pass this one by.Very minor spoilers may be included in the following (synopsis, really):Anna is a 30 year-old teacher, hired to tutor 16 year-old T.J., who has recently gone into remission after a long battle with cancer. As T.J.'s family has flown ahead, he and Anna make the trip to the Indonesian island together. Unfortunately, on the last leg of their journey, their plane crashes into the sea, and they wash up onto one of many small islands (think Castaway-the movie).What follows is a wonderful story about two people thrown together and leaning on each other to survive, and eventually, however unlikely seeming, to fall in love. Actually, falling in love isn't that unlikely for these two, not the way the story is told, 1st person, from both POVs. This allows the reader to get inside Anna and T.J., to see their thought processes and how their relationship evolves.There are not many books that I'm left thinking about for days after I've finished - usually I read several others and just keep going, but in this case, despite the quantity of books I've read since finishing On the Island, I'm still there, in that book, reliving it in my head. This is a good thing.On a technical note - the book is extremely well-written, despite being a self-pub, and no glaring plots holes, etc. I was, however, disappointed to find that the author has not yet published anything else. I will now be on the lookout for her next book.